The weekly eLearning Challenge #80 was about science-related examples. I knew I wouldn’t have time to come up with a project of my own, but one of the resources caught my eye. I thought it would be fun to try and redevelop this Flash-based example in Storyline. It turned out that fellow Articulate SuperHero Paul Alders had the same idea. So we teamed up in a Dutch-Canadian development project; Paul provided great graphics and gif animations and I did the trigger setup.
The Storyline setup was quite simple, nothing that I hadn’t done before. One slider ‘drives’ a number of other sliders and also triggers state changes for a rotating object.
Since I didn’t have the Flash source file, I had to eyeball the placement of elements and take a guess on the math behind the way these slider proportionally move. I could have spent more time optimizing triggers, organizing and labelling objects on the timeline, fine-tuning some animations and state changes, etc. but even this ‘quick-and-dirty’ attempt turned out pretty good, see here for a published example.